About Me

My photo
Phoenix, Arizona
Growing up my initials were OP, which was pretty cool in the 80's, right? Then I got married and my initials got updated to match our very texting obsessed era that we now live in (and shake our heads at)...OMG. For those who are texting illiterate, I'll spell it out..."Oh, My God!". I pity the girl whose initials are W.T.F. (I won't spell that one out. You can Google it or email me for an explaination on that one!)

4.11.2009

My dear patients...

He was in his 80's. Prostate cancer spreading to his bones as it so often does. Stripping away his muscles, his appetite, his ability to take care of his wife or even walk to the toilet. It was not taking away his ability to lament about his worrisome wife. He laid in bed, staring out the window as he went on about how she worried too much and made a big deal about nothing. "If I wake up with a stomach-ache she asks if she should call the doctor or do I want to go to the emergency room. NO! I just want some ginger tea! If I say the car is working fine, she worries about what if we get a flat tire tomorrow?!"

We talked about how all he really wants is for her to be happy and not worry. He almost tears up when we mention wanting his dear wife of 40-something years, to just be happy. That's all he's ever wanted for her.

"I tell her all you have to do is change how you are thinking! It's that simple!"

I just had to laugh. It's just that simple according to any 20, 40, or 80 year old MAN.
I asked him if he's talked about this with her lately.

"Yeah, yeah, I've been talking for 40 years!"
All I could think to say was maybe not the most sympathetic, but it was as frank as he was... "Well, you picked her."

He looks up at me and says, "Yeah, I picked her. Don't get me wrong, we are still in love. That doesn't mean it's any fun."

He was so funny in the midst of his venting and frustration. He was a dear old man, in his final weeks of life, still reaching out, dealing & processing his life. It was an honor to talk with him.

2 comments:

Michawn said...

what a sweet story...and glimpse into your life and his. i loved that. funny...maybe we won't have it all figured out at that age after all. ;)

Kristin said...

I've been meaning to stop by and say Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope you had a wonderful Easter!