About Me

My photo
Phoenix, Arizona
Growing up my initials were OP, which was pretty cool in the 80's, right? Then I got married and my initials got updated to match our very texting obsessed era that we now live in (and shake our heads at)...OMG. For those who are texting illiterate, I'll spell it out..."Oh, My God!". I pity the girl whose initials are W.T.F. (I won't spell that one out. You can Google it or email me for an explaination on that one!)

6.18.2009

Manual Focus

I love manual focus. I dream about taking pictures with manual focus. It's just so cool to make a camera do something I've never been able to do before. I've been reading some photography blogs so I know there are even MORE things I could do with a camera...just not the one I have. An upgrade is in my future for sure...in a few years, I guess. Until then, I am making the most of what I CAN do with my current camera.


Here are a few shots so you know what I'm talkin about.




These are the first pictures I took when I discovered how to use manual focus on our road trip in May. I've had the camera since December and couldn't figure out how to use manual focus until now! Oh, the wasted time! All the missed shots! :(


This is my first successful shot. I just love it. Am I wrong? Is this not a great shot?! :)





At my sister-in-law's graduation. We are very proud but it was a graduation ceremony...there was plenty of time to play with the camera!





This is at home the other evening. Practicing focus on something not in the foreground.

Kinda cool.






Tastes as good as it looks.





No manual focus here, just turned the camera around for a sec. Hope my bangs don't look like that all the time. Yikes.



See the subtlety of manual focus. This pic looks just fine at first glance but his face is too sharp. I want to really focus on his hand.



This is what I was aiming for. Sharp on the fingers, slightly blurred face. This statue was about 4 feet above me and it was actually night, so it took about a dozen shots to get it how I wanted.






I probably could have gotten the focus sharper but there was so much sunlight so it was hard to judge. Still makes a pretty pic though. I love how the flower looks translucent.


No comments: